The Order of the Seraphim

Royal Order of the Seraphim established 1748


When the Royal Order of the Seraphim was established in 1748 it harked back to an older, already existing order of the same name from the 13th century. The connection gave the new knightly order historic roots.
 
The dubbing of Seraphim Knights ceased in 1865.

  


The Order's insignia


The Order of the Seraphim's insignia for knights or members comprise a decoration in the form of a cross, which is worn in a light blue sash from the right shoulder, and a grand star, which is worn on the left side of the chest.

In special cases, the knight or member may be presented with a chain, which is worn on special ceremonial occasions. Up until 1865, when dubbing was abolished, these insignia were kept on a cushion in the Royal Chapel (previously the Riddarholm Church) at the altar, to be passed to the new knight.

 


Standard


The standard of the Order of the Seraphim was granted by King Carl XIII in July 1809, but was probably not completed until the following year. At the same time a new official appointment was established at the Order of His Majesty The King, that of the standard-bearer. A special ceremonial, or instruction, was issued for him on 25 April 1810 and attached to the protocol of the chapter of the order. The standard was used for the first time at the dubbings in 1810.

The standard was used in connection with the funerals of Swedish royal personages during the latter half of the 19th century.

 


Members of the Royal Family and Heads of State can be awarded Order of the Seraphim


Today, alongside members of the Swedish Royal Family, only foreign Heads of State and high ranking royalties can be awarded the Order of the Seraphim.