The baptismal font was added when the new Royal Chapel was built for the Tre Kronor Palace at the end of the 17th Century. King Karl XI ordered a new font in silver, which was to be one of his gifts to the new church.
At that time, there were attempts made to establish trade relations with what is now Indonesia, however the only outcome of these attempts was a shipment of silver from the island of Sumatra. The silver was used for the new baptismal fond and was worked in the silver mine in Sala. The silver weighs almost 50 kg.
It is highly likely that Nicodemus Tessin the Younger was responsible for the design, in close partnership the French sculptor Bernard Fouquet, who was working in Stockholm at that time. The work was carried out by the French silversmith, Francois Cousinet, between 1696 and 1707, and it was used for the first time on 16 January 1746 at the christening of Crown Prince Gustav (III).
The font is still used for all royal christenings in the Royal Chapel.