The King and Queen open a pavilion in Drottningholm Park

On Tuesday 30 April, The King's birthday, The King and Queen and their Bavarian Mountain Hound Brandie attended the opening of a new pavilion in Drottningholm Palace Park.

The pavilion is on the island of Ormholmen, in a part of the palace park known as the English Park. The island is open to everyone, and dogs can be exercised off their leads.

The King and Queen in front of the new pavilion in Drottningholm Palace Park.

The King and Queen in front of the new pavilion in Drottningholm Palace Park. Photo: Sara Friberg/The Royal Court of Sweden

The new pavilion has been built at the initiative of The King, and is intended to provide protection against the weather and somewhere to rest. The pavilion is made from wood, with slate roofing and benches facing inside and outside.

Photo: Sara Friberg/The Royal Court of Sweden

During the opening ceremony, an ensemble from the Armed Forces Music Corps played under the direction of Court Trumpeter Olle Hermansen.

Find out more about Drottningholm Palace Park hereexternal link, opens in new window.

Photo: Sara Friberg/The Royal Court of Sweden

The English Park

When King Gustav III took over Drottningholm in 1777, he wanted to introduce the latest trend in park design from England: the natural landscape park. Fredrik Magnus Piper, who had studied in England, was tasked with creating just such a park to the north of the Baroque Garden in 1780.

The English Park consists of two ponds with canals, islands and beautiful bridges, large lawns, groves and tree-lined avenues. Pathways meander throughout the park, which also has walkways offering views and panoramas across the countryside.

The King and Queen with Brandie outside Drottningholm Palace.

The King and Queen with Brandie outside Drottningholm Palace. Photo: Sara Friberg/The Royal Court of Sweden