On Sunday 16 December, The King re-dedicated the equestrian statue of King Karl XIV Johan on Slottsbacken. After 164 years at Slussen, and in the 200th jubilee year of the Bernadotte dynasty on the Swedish throne, the statue now has a new position on Slottsbacken.
In the presence of The Queen, The Crown Princess, Prince Daniel, Prince Carl Philip and Princess Sofia, The King re-dedicated the statue of his ancestor. The equestrian statue previously stood on Karl Johans Torg, but Bengt Erland Fogelberg's sculpture now has a new home as a result of the major rebuilding works at Slussen.
In connection with moving the statue, a new granite plinth has been added together with inscriptions to mark 200 years of the Bernadotte dynasty on the Swedish throne.
In his speech, The King said:
"After 164 years at Slussen, King Karl Johan has now returned to the palace where he lived and worked. [...] Following the death of King Karl Johan in 1844, King Oskar I announced that he intended to erect an equestrian statue of his father. The artist Bengt Erland Fogelberg was commissioned to produce it, and ten years later the statue was unveiled at a ceremony on Slussplan – subsequently renamed Karl Johans Torg. [...] Now, in connection with the rebuilding of Slussen, we are re-dedicating the statue here, in its new location and on a new plinth."
In connection with the ceremony, music was performed by the Life Guards' Dragoon Music Corps and the Stockholm Student Singers, conducted by Pelle Olofsson. Some of the music that was performed was also played in November 1854 when the statue was unveiled at Slussen.
The unveiling ceremony concluded with a performance of Edouard de Puy's "Karl Johan, Our King", a work which is thought to have been the first piece of music King Karl XIV Johan heard when he arrived in Sweden.
In connection with the re-dedication of the statue, The King also invited the public to an Open Palace event. During the evening, the Bernadotte Apartments were open to the public with free entry.