On Saturday 17 May, The Crown Princess Couple and Princess Estelle visited Linköping Castle and opened the Fairytale Path at Tåkern Visitor Centre, a christening gift to Princess Estelle from Östergötland County.
The visit began at Linköping Castle, where County Governor Elisabeth Nilsson welcomed them to the county. Linköping Castle is now home to Duchess Estelle's Room, which was shown to the visitors by Court Architect Mats Fredriksson and Museum Director Markus Lindberg. The room is located next to the dining room, where lunch was then served.
Linköping Castle traces its roots back to the beginning of the 12th century, when Bishop Gisle built a bishop's palace and a fortified house on the site. Parts of the bishop's palace make up the castle's west wing today. In the 16th century the castle became a royal palace, and was extended. The first county governor moved into the castle in the late 1700s. Find out more about Linköping Castle here External link, opens in new window..
During the afternoon, The Crown Princess Couple and Princess Estelle visited Lake Tåkern, one of Northern Europe's most important bird reserves. The Crown Princess Couple and Princess Estelle opened the Fairytale Path, a christening gift to Princess Estelle in May 2012. The path is 700 metres long, and there are ten stops along the path with figures and activities for children to enjoy. Colourful illustrations along the path tell a fairytale, linking the various stops and leading visitors along the path.
On Friday 24 February 2012, The King announced at a cabinet briefing that the newborn Princess Estelle would be given the title Duchess of Östergötland. The previous Dukes of Östergötland were Duke Magnus (1542-1595), Duke Johan (1606-1618), Duke Fredrik Adolf (1772-1803), Prince Oscar (later King Oscar II) (1829-1907) and Duke Carl (1911-1937).