A Royal Library existed in the original palace that burned down in 1697. It contained the Royal book collection and a national collection that had quickly grown thanks to legal deposits to the library.
The law regarding legal deposits dates back to 1662 and states that every printer in the realm must provide one example of every printed work to the crown.
The law still applies today, but has been extended. Today, printers provide seven complimentary copies to the Royal Library (KB) and large university libraries.
Tessin´s successor, palace architect Carl Hårleman proposed a room with small side cubicles and an open walkway in the middle. This too was never realized.
Thanks to the height of the ceilings, the same high ceilings as in the Royal Chapel and the Hall of State, it was possible to build two entresols in the corridor, resulting in three storage corridors.
However, when it was finally finished at the end of the 1700s, styles and taste had changed and unpainted oak was preferred.
It was not until 1796 that all the interiors were finished and the building could be put to use.