Welcome to Gustav III's Museum of Antiquities, one of Europe's oldest museums which opened back in 1794. King Gustav III was interested in art and antiques, and purchased the museum's sculptures during a journey to Italy. Today, these are positioned in the palace's stone galleries exactly as they were originally displayed.
The stone galleries are located in the northeast wing of the palace. Light from the palace's garden, Logården, filters in through the larger stone gallery, where Endymion – the jewel in the crown of the collection – is positioned. The sculpture was a source of great admiration in the 18th century.
Entry to the museum is via Lejonbacken, no. 5 on the sketch below.
Slideshow photos: Lisa Raihle Rehbäck/The Royal Court