At that time it was primarily a utility garden and was situated approximately where the parking area, east of the theatre, is located today.
The park and gardens at Drottningholm have been developed in three stages, inspired by three main styles.
The work was headed by the palace architects Tessin – father and son. This part of the garden is known as the baroque garden and is situated directly adjacent to the palace, enclosed by four lime-tree lined avenues.
The architects were inspired by newly planted palace gardens in France at the time, where the ideal was strict, ordered and symmetrical.
The baroque garden lay in disrepair during the 1800s but was restored in the 1950–60s by Gustaf VI Adolf.
Today, these have been replaced by a large lawn with box-wood hedges on the outer edges as well as a band of crushed brick and black hyperite.
All the bronze sculptures located in the park are created by de Vries and came to Sweden as booty after wars in Prague 1648 and Fredriksborg 1659.
After a walled terrace comes the parterre d´eau with ten jets of water and lawns enclosed by box-wood hedges.
Beyond the cascades lie four hedge groves and the crown fountain. Today the groves remain as they were formed during the 1700s.
The southwest grove contains a theatre of leaves, with hedges forming the walls and stage.
Queen Lovisa Ulrika was inspired by this new line of thought and commissioned the Chinese Pavilion's architect, Carl Fredrik Adelkrantz, to plant chestnut tree-lined avenues around the Chinese Pavilion so visitors could view the landscape.
The groves to the east of the Chinese Pavilion were planted as bowers for carefree open air rendezvous.
A menagerie was built beyond the groves, however all that is left today is a pond.
Behind the pavilion itself lies a tree grove containing a mix of Swedish trees, giving a “wild" impression and providing a frame of nature romanticism to the Chinese Pavilion.
Fredrik Magnus Piper, who studied these gardens first hand in England, was commissioned in 1780 to create such a garden to the north of the baroque garden.
This garden is made up of two ponds with canals, islets and beautiful bridges, expansive lawns as well as tree-lined avenues and tree groves. Walkways wind themselves all around the park.
Only a few of all the romantic buildings that were planned for the English garden were completed – for instance the neo-Gothic style tower.
The intention was to provide beautiful surprises amongst the foliage or a visual endpoint from a distance.
The tradition was continued by Gustaf VI Adolf in 1973 and by Carl XVI Gustaf in 1996.