Different styles have replaced one another throughout the years, which means that the original park shares very few similarities with the park of today.
The parks and gardens at Ulriksdal are open all year long. For directions see menu “Visit us".
This was also true for Jakobsdal, which Ulriksdal was called at the time, where several smaller gardens with no direct connection to the palace were planted.
Hans Georg Kraus was contracted in 1647 to plant a palace garden. This contained a grotto, groves and a labyrinth to the left of the palace.
In addition to these more pleasure-oriented gardens, a more utility focused garden existed to the south of Igelbäcken.
De le Gardie himself was responsible for many of the basic ideas, helped by architect Jean de la Vallée.
At this time it was important to unite the gardens with the palace into one unit in the form of a large parterre divided into quarters. Ponds were dug and fountains were built. Sculptures were placed around the gardens.
Even natural formations were incorporated into the park. For instance, a cliff on top of which a lead sculpture of Perseus was placed.
Perseus is pictured on his winged horse coming to save Andromeda who was captured by a three-headed monster. A sculpture of Andromeda was chained to the cliff wall and the monster was placed in a nearby pond.
The so called Queen's Avenue (north of Igelbäcken) was planted during this time in 1724.
For instance, a narrow lime grove was planted facing the west directly north of the Queen's Avenue.
Winding paths and a rolling billowing landscape were the height of fashion. Hermit dwellings (ideally containing a real hermit) and small Greek temples were the perfect finishing touches.
A romantic English park was established at the beginning of the 1800s to the west of the old palace gardens and 2000 wild trees were intermittently planted in the area.
In 1863 the sculpture “The Blackamoors dragging nets" was moved from Haga to Igelbäcken.
After Karl XV's death the most western part of the old Hårleman grove was cut down and many plants in the courtyard and the parterres were replanted.
Landscape architect Gösta Reuterswärd was commissioned for this job in 1935.
The old parterre system was transformed into four large lawns with only two crossing paths, one from the centre axis of the castle and one from that of the orangery.
The round basins were replaced by a square with a powerful fountain jet.
High stem lilac trees were planted along the centre axis of the park and lime avenues were planted after the fountain. Hawthorn trees were planted on the other transverse axis.
In conclusion it can be established that it would have been exciting if Magnus Gabriel de la Gardie's palace park had been preserved.
However, today´s park is also a true gem, which many visitors have discovered in recent years.