Originally the building was in the Renaissance style, but its exterior has been transformed several times, and the present appearance of the building dates from the first half of the 18th century.
In 1669 the Queen Dowager Hedvig Eleonora purchased the Palace. She made a present of it in 1684 to her newborn grandson, Prince Ulrik, and the Palace was then renamed Ulriksdal.
The little prince died only a year later. His grandmother resumed the Palace, but it kept its new name.
Today the Confidence, as it came to be called, is a popular theatre during the summer season.
In 1821 the old Palace building was turned into an invalid hospital. Twenty-five years later, Ulriksdal became a royal residence again, when Crown Prince Karl (XV) and Crown Princess Lovisa repaired it and had many of the interiors redecorated.
Some of the museum furnishings are still to be seen in the Palace today. In 1864-65 Karl and Lovisa also had a chapel built, to designs by the architect F. W. Scholander.
The furnishings were a wedding present from the people of Stockholm, and Carl Malmsten designed the furniture. This living room is one of the finest 20th century interiors in Sweden.
The south wing of the Palace houses the offices of the World Wide Fund for Nature, WWF.
For some years now, the Orangery, a late 17th century building, has been a museum of Swedish sculpture.