During the 1920s, 30s and 40s, newspapers carried many feature articles describing Tullgarn as King Gustaf's summer residence. But its history goes back much further.
The old Renaissance Palace was pulled down in about 1720 and replaced with the present building, designed by the French fortification officer Joseph Gabriel Destain for the then owner, Count Magnus Julius De la Gardie.
In the 1770s the Palace was acquired by the State for Gustav III's youngest brother, Duke Fredrik Adolf.
Duke Fredrik Adolf's interiors at Tullgarn, for instance the Red Antechamber and the Great and Lesser Bedchamb-ers, are among the finest of their kind in Sweden.
Many interiors were modernized at that time. The Great Breakfast Room, fitted out in virtually South-German Renaissance style, is a typical example.
An "English Park" with meandering footpaths and ponds surrounds the Palace.
The Tullgarn area has been designated an area of national scientific interest, and there are permanent research stations here for biologists and zoologists from Stockholm University.