A tour of the library takes approximately 45 minutes and includes both a presentation of the room as well as an account of the principles that are applied to book collection.
A library was included in the plans of the palace that Nicodemus Tessin the Younger was commissioned to draw up after the old Tre Kronor palace was burned down.
However, the library plans of a later architect called Carl Johan Cronstedt were realized, and not those of Tessin. Construction of the library was completed in 1796.
Thanks to the obligatory legal deposits of new books the library´s collection grew quickly. At the same time the library´s character changed from that of a private royal library to a Swedish National Library.
After time the rooms at the palace became too small and the collection was moved in 1877 to the new National Library in Humlegården, which kept the name the “Royal Library".
At the beginning of the 1900s, the Royal Family´s private book collections were once again gathered in the palace´s library wing. In the 1950s a thorough reorganization and re-categorisation of the library was carried out giving an exact inventory of the books contained in the collection.
The collection today contains books from Gustav IV Adolf to Gustaf VI Adolf and their respective consorts.
The information above provides the general focus of guided tours at the Bernadotte Library. The more detailed content of the tour depends on the focus of the tour guide on duty.