The present Royal Chapel is the third chapel in the palace grounds that we have detailed information about. Karl XI's newly inaugurated chapel was burnt down in the great fire of May 7, 1697.
Constructing a new Royal Chapel was a key part of architect Nikodemus Tessin's extensive commission to build a new palace after the fire.
After the reformation, when Sweden eventually became a Lutheran land, special court chaplains were connected to Gustav Vasa and his sons.
However, a Royal Court Parish, consisting of the Royal Family and employees of the Court, was not formed until the beginning of the 1600s under the reign of Vasa's youngest son Karl IX.
A parish clerk and organist was employed as well as a few schoolboys known as “djäknar" who earned money for their tuition singing in church. Chalices, goblet covers, alter cloths and two antependia were also acquired.
Mass was held both in the chapel and - for the Royal Family - in their rooms at the palace. Since the beginning of the 1700s, the Royal Court parish has functioned much like the other parishes of the Church of Sweden.