Preparations in the stable at the Royal Stables. Coachman Sara Thavenius harnesses Lillegutt. Photo: royalcourt.se
One of the Royal Stables' regular duties involves taking part in formal audiences. The Royal Stables bring a sense of beauty and elegance to the ceremonies. The ambassador is collected from the Ministry for Foreign Affairs on Gustaf Adolfs Torg in a parade coupé drawn by four horses, and is driven to the Royal Palace of Stockholm.
At half past six on a chilly winter's morning, work begins at the Royal Stables, situated at Väpnargatan 1 next to the Royal Dramatic Theatre in Östermalm, Stockholm. The uniforms are hung out, the stables are mucked out, and the horses are fed and groomed. But the preparations actually began a few days before. All the equipment has been checked. The shiny sections of the harnesses have been polished, as have the uniform buttons. The horses have been shampooed, and their manes, tails and fetlocks have been trimmed.
The cavalier coachmen that will be driving the carriages put on their warm winter coats with triple-layered capes. These winter uniforms were made in the mid-19th century, and the fabric is of a quality that is no longer available, so great care is taken to look after them. They also wear bearskins with matching fur collars.
Guided tours of the Royal Stables are given on Saturdays and Sundays at 14:00.
To take part in the tour, you must be at the meeting place immediately before the tour begins. The Royal Stables are situated on Väpnargatan 1 (just behind the Royal Dramatic Theatre) in Östermalm. The meeting place is at the gate to the Royal Stables.
Please ensure that you arrive five minutes before the tour begins. The gate will be locked, and it will not therefore be possible to enter after the guide has collected the visitors.
This general tour cannot be booked in advance. We recommend that large groups pre-book a guided tour. Find out more about group visits here.
The Royal Stables were built between 1890 and 1894, and was designed by the palace official Ernst Jacobsson. He was assisted by architect Fritz Eckert, who designed the façades and the ornamentations. The building replaced Tessin's old Royal Stables on Helgeandsholmen, and was opened in 1894 by King Oscar II.