The King and Queen visit Älvdalen
One of the programme items was the play "The Royal Retinue", which The King and Queen enjoyed. Photo: Ulf Palm/Scanpix
On Saturday 11 June, The King and Queen visited Älvdalen in Dalarna.
During the day, The King and Queen attended Elfdalen Local History Society's 100th anniversary celebrations. The day began with a tour of the Rots Skans homestead museum at Älvdalen's church village. The hosts at the homestead museum explained about the local summer pasturing traditions, forging, barrel-making, hunting and fishing, and how Älvdalen's traditional costume came into being. The King and Queen also signed the Royal Stone, which had previously been signed by King Gustav VI Adolf on Eriksgatan in 1953.
The King and Queen then jointly cut a ribbon to launch Elfdalen's 100th anniversary celebrations. The special programme included outdoor musical entertainment, and concluded with a local play, "The Royal Retinue".
In the afternoon, The King and Queen visited the Hagström & Porphyry Museum in Älvdalen, which The King had opened in 1988.